Georgia turkey hunters are training their finest turkey calls and patterning their shotguns as they prepare for the statewide turkey looking season opening Saturday, Mar. 20, in accordance with the Georgia Division of Pure Assets’ Wildlife Assets Division.
“Statewide copy in 2019 was barely larger than common, which suggests we must always have a good variety of two-year outdated birds within the woods,” explains Emily Rushton, Wildlife Assets Division wild turkey venture coordinator. “Nevertheless, I don’t anticipate harvest to succeed in the degrees it did final yr, which was a document harvest for a lot of areas of the state, notably on public lands.”
What can hunters anticipate throughout state areas this spring? Harvest within the Ridge and Valley area of the state ought to stay excessive, as copy was robust on this space. The Blue Ridge Mountain area additionally noticed continued will increase in poults per hen, indicating promise of an excellent harvest. Sadly, the Piedmont area of the state, the place a lot of our hunters focus their efforts, noticed a drop in copy in 2019, indicating fewer grownup birds within the woods. Conversely, copy within the Coastal Plain was barely up, which hopefully is an efficient signal for hunters within the southern half of the state.
With a bag restrict of three gobblers per season, hunters have from Mar. 20 by means of Could 15 to reap their chook(s).
Georgia Recreation Test: All turkey hunters should report their harvest utilizing Georgia Recreation Test. Turkeys could be reported on the Open air GA app (georgiawildlife.com/outdoors-ga-app), which now works whether or not you’ve cell service or not, at gooutdoorsgeorgia.com, or by calling 1-800-366-2661. App customers, when you have not used the app since deer season or earlier than, be sure you have the most recent model. Extra data at georgiawildlife.com/HarvestRecordGeorgiaGameCheck.
Hunters age 16 years or older (together with these accompanying youth or others) will want a looking license and a giant recreation license, except looking on their very own personal land. Get your license at www.gooutdoorsgeorgia.com, at a retail license vendor or by telephone at 1-800-366-2661. With many pursuing wild turkeys on personal land, hunters are reminded to acquire landowner permission earlier than looking.
The Georgia Chapter of the Nationwide Wild Turkey Federation has donated greater than $6,000,000 since 1985 for initiatives that profit wild turkey and different wildlife. The NWTF works in partnership with the Wildlife Assets Division and different land administration businesses on habitat enhancement, hunter entry, wild turkey analysis and schooling. The NWTF has an important initiative known as “Save the Habitat, Save the Hunt,” centered on habitat administration, hunter entry and hunter recruitment.
“Hunters ought to know that every time they buy a license or tools used to turkey hunt, corresponding to shotguns, ammunition and others, that they’re a part of this larger conservation effort for wildlife in Georgia,” mentioned Rushton. “By means of the Wildlife Restoration Program, a portion of the cash spent comes again to states and is put again into on-the-ground efforts corresponding to habitat administration and species analysis and administration.”
For extra looking data, go to georgiawildlife.com/looking/hunter-resources.
“One of the simplest ways to maintain your self, and others, secure whereas looking is to all the time follow firearms security,” advises Jennifer Pittman, statewide hunter schooling administrator with the Wildlife Assets Division. “As soon as you make sure that firearms security practices are in place, you additionally wish to evaluation and follow precautions which are particular to turkey looking.”
Turkey Looking Security Suggestions:
- By no means put on purple, white, blue or black clothes whereas turkey looking. Purple is the colour most hunters search for when distinguishing a gobbler’s head from a hen’s blue-colored head, however at occasions it might seem white or blue. Male turkey feathers overlaying many of the physique are black in look. Camouflage ought to be used to cowl the whole lot, together with the hunter’s face, palms and firearm.
- Choose a calling place that gives at the very least a shoulder-width background, corresponding to the bottom of a tree. Make certain that at the very least a 180-degree vary is seen.
- Don’t stalk a gobbling turkey. On account of their eager eyesight and listening to, the possibilities of getting shut are slim to none.
- When utilizing a turkey name, the sound and movement might entice the curiosity of different hunters. Don’t transfer, wave or make turkey-like sounds to alert one other hunter to your presence. As a substitute, establish your self in a loud voice.
- Watch out when carrying a harvested turkey from the woods. Don’t permit the wings to hold loosely or the pinnacle to be displayed in such a manner that one other hunter might imagine it’s a reside chook. If potential, cowl the turkey in a blaze orange garment or different materials.
- Though not required, it’s urged that hunters put on blaze orange when transferring between a car and a looking website. When transferring between looking websites, hunters ought to put on blaze orange on their higher our bodies to facilitate their identification by different hunters.
Do you want hunter schooling earlier than you head to the woods? You could have choices! Hunters in want of the Georgia hunter schooling course can select to go utterly on-line or attend a classroom course, in accordance with the Georgia Division of Pure Assets’ Wildlife Assets Division.
“In 2020, over 17,000 folks accomplished the Georgia hunter schooling course—both on-line or in a classroom,” says Jennifer Pittman, statewide hunter schooling administrator with the Wildlife Assets Division. “Providing each classroom and on-line choices give college students the selection about what works finest with their schedules, particularly these with time constraints.”
The 5 out there on-line programs every require a price (from $13.00–$29.95) however all are “go or don’t pay” programs. Charges for these programs are charged by and picked up by the impartial course developer. The classroom course is freed from cost.
Completion of a hunter schooling course is required for any particular person born on or after January 1, 1961, who:
- purchases a season looking license in Georgia.
- is at the very least 12 years outdated and hunts with out grownup supervision.
- hunts massive recreation (deer, turkey, bear) on a wildlife administration space.
The one exceptions embody any one that:
- purchases a short-term looking license, i.e. something lower than annual period (versus a season license).
- is looking on his or her personal land, or is a dependent looking on land of his or her dad and mom or authorized guardians.